Your Social Security Card

Thanks for sharing this!

Have you looked at your social security card lately?

In these days of rampant identity theft, you’ve probably tucked your card away in a safe place. But there are occasions, like a new job, when you have to pull it from hiding. If you’re expecting to have to show your card, save yourself some trouble by checking beforehand whether it needs corrections or is dog-eared and illegible.

For instance, you may need to update your card due to a name change. That requires documentation. Before you head to the local Social Security office, gather records with your former name, such as a marriage license, divorce or annulment decree or a court order formalizing a name change.

You’ll also need identifying information that shows your current name. You can present a photo ID or your driver’s license, but you may have to supply additional paperwork if more than two years have passed since you changed your name.

An incorrect birth date is another reason to contact Social Security. The agency will amend its records only after the office that issued your birth certificate verifies the corrected date.

What if your card is damaged or destroyed? As a US citizen, you can get a replacement by filling out an application and showing either a driver’s license, a state issued ID, or a US passport. If none of these are available, secondary proof of identity may be accepted. Examples include ID cards from your school, employer, health insurance or the US military.

All documents must be originals or certified to be original by the issuing agency. Photocopies and notarized versions are not acceptable.

Note: In 2006, Top Drawer Ink published two articles about Social Security: The History of Social Security and Another Side of Social Security.

You might also like these posts

Article – Preparing for Hurricane Season Image source: By Nilfanion , via Wikimedia Commons. The map shows the tracks of all tropical cyclones which formed worldwide from 1985 to 2005.The Atlantic hurricane season begins June 1. While the 2014 season is expected to be a mild one, mild doesn’t mean storm-free. Getting ready early is a good idea—and early preparati...
Article — Locked Out Image source: UK, public domain, via Wikimedia Commons What’s on your computer? Your manuscripts? Work? Photos? What would you do if you were denied access to those files—if you were locked out by rogue hackers? If you’re shaking your head because you think nothing on your computer is of value to hackers, consider th...
Article — Tax Identity Theft Awareness Week Image source: Taxes are scary enough, without adding tax identity theft to the mix. The costs—$3.6 billion a year according to an estimate by the US Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration—are scary, too. Unfortunately, both tax ID theft and the costs are on the rise. The US Federal Trade Commission...
Article — Your 2013 Federal Income Tax Return Image source: Whether you’re a part- or full-time freelancer, receiving income means filing a tax return. Here are three things to keep in mind as you look back at your 2013 business activity. Dates: The IRS will begin accepting 2013 business returns on Monday, January 13, 2014. For individual returns, the da...

We write. Visit us in Carpenter Country, a magical place that, like our stories, is unreal but not untrue.

Posted in Articles Tagged with: ,