Free Tax Assistance

Thanks for sharing this!

Having problems preparing your tax return? Take heart, help is available—for free in many cases. Lay down your pencil, gather up your paperwork and check out one of these programs.

  • Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA). If your annual income is less than $38,000, trained volunteers can help you complete and file your tax return. Look for VITA sites at your local library, shopping mall, school or community center.
  • Tax Counseling for the Elderly. Are you sixty or older? The IRS sponsors this program in conjunction with nonprofit organizations such as AARP to answer questions about taxes and offer assistance with your return.
  • Armed Forces Tax Council. Serving in the military? Volunteers are available on military bases to provide tax advice and preparation to you and your family.
  • American Institute of Certified Public Accountants. Is your return complicated? If you’re eligible for VITA assistance, you may be able to get a referral to a CPA who’s willing to donate time and offer professional advice. When your tax issue involves a catastrophic event such as a hurricane, check with FEMA for the name of a CPA volunteer.

You might also like these posts

Article – Preparing for Hurricane Season Image source: By Nilfanion , via Wikimedia Commons. The map shows the tracks of all tropical cyclones which formed worldwide from 1985 to 2005.The Atlantic hurricane season begins June 1. While the 2014 season is expected to be a mild one, mild doesn’t mean storm-free. Getting ready early is a good idea—and early preparati...
Article — Locked Out Image source: UK, public domain, via Wikimedia Commons What’s on your computer? Your manuscripts? Work? Photos? What would you do if you were denied access to those files—if you were locked out by rogue hackers? If you’re shaking your head because you think nothing on your computer is of value to hackers, consider th...
Article — Tax Identity Theft Awareness Week Image source: Taxes are scary enough, without adding tax identity theft to the mix. The costs—$3.6 billion a year according to an estimate by the US Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration—are scary, too. Unfortunately, both tax ID theft and the costs are on the rise. The US Federal Trade Commission...
Article — Your 2013 Federal Income Tax Return Image source: Whether you’re a part- or full-time freelancer, receiving income means filing a tax return. Here are three things to keep in mind as you look back at your 2013 business activity. Dates: The IRS will begin accepting 2013 business returns on Monday, January 13, 2014. For individual returns, the da...

We write. Visit us in Carpenter Country, a magical place that, like our stories, is unreal but not untrue.

Posted in Articles Tagged with: ,