Estimated Tax Payments

Thanks for sharing this!

Do you operate your business as a sole proprietor, a partnership or an S corporation? If so, you may have to make estimated tax payments.

Estimated tax payments are typically required when the amount of income tax you have withheld from wages or pensions is not enough to cover what you’ll owe on your return.

For 2009, you may need to file estimates if:

  • Your 2009 tax liability will be $1,000 or more.
  • Your withholding and credits will be less than 90% of the tax that will be due with your 2009 income tax return or less than 100% of the tax on your 2008 return.

You can calculate your 2009 estimated tax by basing the amount you will owe on the tax shown on your 2008 tax return. Alternatively, you can figure out your income for each quarter of 2009 as the year progresses.

Estimated taxes, which include income and self-employment tax, are due throughout the year. Say you file your return based on a calendar year. During 2009 you’ll send a check to the IRS in April, June and September, with the final payment due in January 2010.

Keep in mind you can make payments more frequently, but you may incur a penalty for amounts paid late. In addition, if your adjusted gross income exceeds $150,000 or if you are a farmer or fisherman, different rules apply.

You might also like these posts

Article – Preparing for Hurricane Season Image source: By Nilfanion , via Wikimedia Commons. The map shows the tracks of all tropical cyclones which formed worldwide from 1985 to 2005.The Atlantic hurricane season begins June 1. While the 2014 season is expected to be a mild one, mild doesn’t mean storm-free. Getting ready early is a good idea—and early preparati...
Article — Locked Out Image source: UK, public domain, via Wikimedia Commons What’s on your computer? Your manuscripts? Work? Photos? What would you do if you were denied access to those files—if you were locked out by rogue hackers? If you’re shaking your head because you think nothing on your computer is of value to hackers, consider th...
Article — Tax Identity Theft Awareness Week Image source: Taxes are scary enough, without adding tax identity theft to the mix. The costs—$3.6 billion a year according to an estimate by the US Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration—are scary, too. Unfortunately, both tax ID theft and the costs are on the rise. The US Federal Trade Commission...
Article — Your 2013 Federal Income Tax Return Image source: Whether you’re a part- or full-time freelancer, receiving income means filing a tax return. Here are three things to keep in mind as you look back at your 2013 business activity. Dates: The IRS will begin accepting 2013 business returns on Monday, January 13, 2014. For individual returns, the da...

We write. Visit us in Carpenter Country, a magical place that, like our stories, is unreal but not untrue.

Posted in Articles Tagged with: ,