Changing Your Address with the IRS

Thanks for sharing this!

Are you moving? Be sure to include the Internal Revenue Service on your “who to notify” list.

Why? Because the IRS uses your last known address for mailing notices and refund checks.

Even when you file your return electronically and have your check deposited directly to your bank account, it’s a good idea to make sure you keep the IRS up-to-date. One reason: If you close your bank account before your refund arrives, the automatic deposit will bounce and the IRS will send a hard copy check to your last known address. Since government checks are not normally forwarded along with regular mail, you want your refund sent directly to your new home.

Here’s how to change your address with the IRS.

  • If you haven’t already filed your federal income tax return,you can mark the address change on the forms when you complete them. It can take several months for your new address to be processed.
  • If you have already filed, provide your new address to the IRS verbally, electronically or by regular mail.
  • Use Form 8822, Change of Address, for an electronic or snail mail update. Provide your name, previous and current addresses, social security number and a signature. Two signatures are required when you’re married filing jointly. If you and your spouse no longer file jointly, each of you should notify the IRS on separate forms.
  • What if you’re making an address change for a family member? In that case you fill out Form 8822, and also complete Form 2848, Power of Attorney.

No matter which method you use to update the IRS, keep a record of what you did.

You might also like these posts

Article – Preparing for Hurricane Season The Atlantic hurricane season begins June 1. While the 2014 season is expected to be a mild one, mild doesn’t mean storm-free. Getting ready early...
Article — Locked Out What’s on your computer? Your manuscripts? Work? Photos? What would you do if you were denied access to those files—if you were locked out by rogu...
Article — Tax Identity Theft Awareness Week Taxes are scary enough, without adding tax identity theft to the mix. The costs—$3.6 billion a year according to an estimate by the US Treasury In...

We write. Visit us in Carpenter Country, a magical place that, like our stories, is unreal but not untrue.

Tagged with: ,